Sunday, September 21, 2008

Chasse au Treasur and the weekend of patrimoine and pictures!

I just posted pictures from this weekend!!

Wow the past couple of days have been soooooo busy it's crazy! So on Friday at 2:00 IES had a "chasse au treasur" (treasure hunt) and we had 2 hours to find all these things and get back to the IES center. I was in a group with Erica, Anna, and Emily C. and it was really fun!! We are all pretty competitive so we were determined to win - the treasure hunt took us all over Nantes: the chateau, the tabac, the theater, la cigale, the park, and other historically important places, as well as doing silly things like buying a postcard and stamp to the US and buying a baguette and asking for the receipe. It was really fun! We came in second though which bummed us out. Friday night I went over to Erica's house and we hung out there for awhile and then I came back to my house.

This weekend is the weekend of patrimoine which is basically culture weekend and all culturally important sites (castles, museums, etc) even if they're private residences are open and free to the public so yesterday I went to the musee d'histoire naturelle which was really cool!! I want to go back! After the musee I went to l'eglise st. nicolas (st. nick's church) and then after that I wandered around for awhile, then got lunch and at 3 I met Erica, Emily and Anna at IES and we went to the chateau and looked around - it was really cool! then after the castle we looked at the shops nearby and there's the old bookstore right near there that I love!!! There are so many old books and omg I just wanted to buy the store! I restrained myself however :-) 

We were going to go on a nighttime tour of Nantes but there were so many people and the lady wasn't speaking loud enough so we ditched that and just went and got coffee and talked at a cafe. Then we went to walk Alee and Laura home which took FOREVER!! We left the cafe at 10:30-ish and we took Alee home (she had to walk through this sketchy area) and then we were "near" Laura's house so we walked her home and then to the tram and we got there and I asked if we were sure that the tram we were waiting for was going in the right direction and everyone said yes, and I (the directionally challenged girl) was right and we ended up going the wrong way on the tram (at midnight) so we got off at bignon which was like 10 stops away from where we wanted to be and had to wait another half an hour for the tram to come BACK and take us to where we needed to be and at this point it's quarter to 1 so instead of going back to my host mom's (who's gone for the weekend) I ended up crashing at Emily's house last night and walking home this morning. Overall, just yesterday I ended up walking over 10 miles!  

So I was going to go and see some other things today but I'm thinking I'll just do my homework and hang out here because I don't want to get lost or anything :-) Miss you all!

No comments: